When you go shopping, the biggest challenge is to find well-fitting clothing. Sometimes you do not have the option to try on the shirt you really liked, and sometimes it’s just plain ill-fitting even if you do get to the trying room. At that point, you hang the article back because who wants to waste money on something they are unsure of. This means you didn’t get the item you liked and probably have to settle for something that will be available out of sheer convenience.
Online shopping is a different ball game. Almost all brands have e-commerce stores and an online presence. Knowing your exact measurements becomes very critical when you purchase online. You don’t have to try on clothes that don’t fit. But once you press the “Order Now” button and complete the processing, you anxiously anticipate and imagine what the item would look like. No one wants to be disappointed after waiting days for the shipments to arrive only to find out that it does not fit them.
How to avoid this kind of fashion disappointment? You can read on and learn how to take your body measurements. Elegante’s online store has a size chart attached to every item, which helps you match your measurements before every purchase. This way, you can avail the best shopping experience and make sure you purchase the correct size.
General Considerations before starting to take measurements
Consider the following before starting the measurements:
- You mustn’t have thick layers of clothing on you when measuring your body. Clothing like sweaters, coats, and pullovers prevent your actual measurements from coming through.
- It is advised that you wear only a thin layer of fitted garments. This way, you will get the correct measurements.
- Stand with your feet together while taking your measurements. Be relaxed as much as you can and avoid slouching at all times.
Jot down your accurate body measurements and keep them on you while shopping.
What you will need to take measurements
An inelastic tape is essential. When getting the suitable measurement tape, be sure that it is flexible as it can bend. You can look online for good ones as there are many brands available. Take your body measurement at least twice to be sure and remove any inaccuracies.
What to Ensure
For all your body measurements, you should pull the tape measure so that it lands flat on the skin surface. However, do not compress the skin; you will only get an inaccurate reading.
Ideally, you should record your measurements in a progress chart every four weeks to ensure you do not end up buying the wrong size.
Alpha and Numeric Men’s Shirt Size
Men’s shirts usually come in Alpha sizes; they are labeled Small, Medium, or Large. There is no rocket science in there. Casual shirts come in alpha labeling, whereas formal shirts for men are numbered with the sizes. To figure out what alpha or numeric size you are, take your measurements and compare them on the size charts available on the Elegante website.
How to measure men’s shirts?
- Start by measuring your neck, as most formal wear translates collar size to this measurement. Wrap the measuring tape around your throat. Once you have the tape in place, place two fingers between your neck and the tape and take the measure. Your fingers will allow some space for breathing once you button the collar.
- For the chest measurement, wrap the tape around the fullest part of your chest and backside. Keep the measuring tape parallel to the ground and pin the tape between your arm and side as you wrap it around yourself to ensure accuracy.
How to measure men’s trousers?
Measuring your lower body can be tricky.
Your waist starts at the height you wear your trousers. However, if you are unclear where your pants should be, you can always begin measuring your torso, approximately an inch below your belly button. Stand tall and place one finger between your body and the measuring tape to get an accurate measurement. This way, you will get a comfortable measure.
For the inseam and outseam, it is advisable to wear shoes and wear a trouser that fits you. For the inseam, measure the underside of the crotch to the bottom of the ankle. The correct measurement will cover the ankles and not show socks while you stand.
For the outseam, take a measure from your waist to the ankles.
When it comes to women’s shirt measurements, the following measurements will prove to be helpful.
- When measuring the neck, wrap the tape at the base of the neck and above the collar bone. This will give you a precise measurement of your neck.
- For the shoulder measure, start off by measuring the base of your neck right in the middle of the shoulder and along the shoulder’s tip. Ensure that the measuring tape does not slip at any of the ends.
- To measure the arm length, bend your arm slightly and measure your arm from your shoulder, to elbow, then to the wrist. You will need a friend or colleague to help you measure your arm as it can be challenging to do so on your own.
How to Measure for women’s trouser
Waist and Hips
Do not use your old pants for the job. Measure your torso right below the rib cage, bringing the tape slightly closer to your belly button. Ensure the measuring tape you are using is not bent or twisted as you wrap it around your waist.
Wrap the tape across the largest part of your hip area and take the measure. Do not wrap too tight, as this can throw off the hip measure. Please note that hip bone is not the ideal hip measure.
Once you know how to measure your body, you will never experience a fashion disaster. You can confidently choose the best clothing item online from any store, provided they have a sizing chart available.